Now that it is cold, this is the perfect season for soup! This homemade tomato soup blew away my expectations and was extremely flavorful. It was also extremely easy and even better with the mozzarella balls!
- 2 lbs of Tomatoes (Cherry Tomatoes, Stem Tomatoes, Plum Tomatoes, etc.)
- Half of a Sweet White Onion
- Half of a Red Onion
- 2 long Carrots
- 14-18 cloves of fresh Garlic
- Springs of Thyme
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Chicken Broth
- Fresh Basil (Cut into Ribbons)
- Mini Mozzarella Balls
- 2 Eggs
- Bread Crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
- Vegetable Oil
- Spices: Pink Himalayan Salt, Fresh Cracked Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano and Parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Chop your sweet white and red onions and carrot and place them into a large baking dish. Then add all of your tomatoes, garlic cloves, springs of thyme, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. There isn’t a measurement, just a drizzle on all of the ingredients for both. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and bake in the oven for about 30 mins.
- While your veggies are baking, set up a breading station of 3 bowls. In 1 bowl add flour, in the 2nd add 2 eggs (whisked) and in the 3rd add the bread crumbs. I tried to use a fork or spoon for this because of it getting really messy on your hands. Cover each mozzarella ball in flour, then egg and then the bread crumbs. After each one, add 3 or 4 of them to small wooden skewers. Once completed, set to the side.
- Once veggies have cooked, remove stems from stemmed tomatoes and blend all of the ingredients in a food processor (or blender if you don’t have one). Add blended soup into a large pot on medium heat. Add chicken broth until the soup is your desired thickness. Stir while adding in the spices to taste.
- While your soup is cooking, add half olive oil and half vegetable oil to a small pot with a lid and heat until it starts to sizzle. Drop one of the skewers of mozzarella balls into the oil for a few seconds. Then using thongs, flip onto the other side for a few seconds. Once the outside is golden, set them all to the side.
- Once you have cooked the soup for 8 to 10 minutes, pour it into your soup bowls. Top with basil ribbons and slide a few mozzarella balls off their skewers onto the top of the soup. Served immediately and enjoy!