I am sure no one likes needles but I wanted to touch on b12 shots and why they are awesome! I have been getting these injections for the past few years and love them. Right now I take a combo injection of b12, b6, b-complex and MIC (an all natural fat burner) but it is very similar to a normal b12 injection and gives me a pop of energy (because I am an old 24 year old who is always fatigued). If you haven’t heard about the benefits of getting b12 from another source then let me fill you in!
Vitamin b12 deficiency is one of the most common deficiencies in the world. It is hard to get your dose of b12 from your food which is why people tend to search for a source elsewhere. Honestly, you may suffer from a b12 deficiency and have no idea. The most common signs are fatigue and weakness, poor moods and low concentration. The reason I started taking b12 is because some of the medication I took for other things had severe fatigue as a side effect. So I wanted to try as many things as I could to improve it. Another reason B12 has become so popular is because of its benefit to improve metabolism function…aka help with weight loss. The vitamin, being in a liquid form, makes it easily absorbed by the body compared to taking it orally.
What does vitamin B12 do?
It is crucial for your bodies internal functions. It helps synthesize and convert many other compounds according to Dr. Axe:
- Forming red blood cells
- Playing a role in DNA/RNA synthesis
- Acting as a cofactor for methionine synthase (protects your cardiovascular health aka your heart)
- Facilitating metabolic conversion of proteins and fats
- Carrying out neurotransmitter functions and helping with production of hormones
- Converting amino acids to make creatine
- Producing a coating to protect your nerves (myelin sheath)
- Synthesis of hemoglobin
- Important for fetal development during pregnancy (if you’re into that sort of thing)
Now you might be wondering “why the f*ck do I care about any of that?” Well, the body is one big machine and if you aren’t taking care of it now…you are going to really wish you did when 50 comes around. Stop being immature and take care of your health and your body!
Now here comes some disappointing news…b12 shots are usually available by prescription only but if you go to your PCP and tell them you have been doing some research and wanted to try out b12 to help with fatigue and issues with concentrating you shouldn’t have a problem and if you have insurance it will cover it. So here are a few of the benefits of b12 injections:
- Improves Your Metabolism: Now this isn’t a quick fix and may not even work for you but because it helps regulate hormone production and give more energy. It is possible to experience a change in appetite, improved sleep and better exercise performance.
- Potentially Reduce Depression, Cognitive Decline and Dementia: This is a huge benefit! Seen especially in older people. Who wouldn’t want to take care of their mind!
- Helps Lower Fatigue: Getting normal levels of vitamin b12 help treat anemia, the conversion of macronutrients, and production of creatine.
- Protects the Heart: Vitamin b12 is needed to convert homocysteine. Elevated homocysteine levels have been known as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. As you should know heart disease is the number one killer of adults in the world.
Like I said, check with your doctor to see if vitamin b12 would be a great fit for you. They can administer it there or you can learn how to self-inject and take the shots home with you. Whatever the case may be you know I am all about the vitamins. Let me know if posts like this are helpful and information you want to hear!